Aberavon Quins RFC | 1st Team 34 - 12 Maesteg RFC | 1st Team
Foard Cooksley
Try 1
Marc Sheppard
Try 1
Conversion 4
Penalty 2
Nathan Flynn
Try 1
Conor O'callaghan
Try 1

Match Report
24 October 2016 / Team News

Aberavon Quins 34 Maesteg 12

The Quins went through their full repertoire of skills in attack and defence while consolidating their position at the head of  division one west central at the expense of second placed Maesteg.

In perfect conditions the Old Parish swarmed to the attack but their mid-field aspirations were thwarted by the deadly tackling of centres Dacey and Gareth Pugh.

A speedy counter attack showed that the Quins could ask questions of the visitors defenders and it was a desperate ankle tap on winger Colarusso saved the situation. Points machine Marc Sheppard, leading the team in the absence of Craig Cox eased the Quins ahead with a penalty goal.

Human buzz saw, hooker Luke Davies, continually smashed his way up field and support from full back Ryan Pugh and Colarusso both of which were in fine form attacking and defending, helped Nathan Flynn celebrate his return to Quins colours with a spectacular try. Sheppard converted.

Stung by this reverse the bigger Maesteg pack ground their way up field but although appearing dangerous their backs found no way through the resolute Quins defence.

Continual pressure from the Old Parish pack forced a yellow card and the Quins succumbed to a driving maul for Liam Healey to score. Howley converted to make the Quins lead 10-7 at half time.

Sheppard stretched the home lead with his second penalty goal. Recent signings Matthew Saker, Flynn and Foard Cooksley put in tremendous contributions with Saker putting in a performance that brought back memories of the Quins packs of years gone by.

Great driving play from the home eight after Cooksley caught a would be counter attacker in possession  saw Conor O'Callaghan dive over for a try, that points machine Sheppard improved from a wide angle.

Not content to roll over Maesteg abandoned their efforts to break through the Quins three quarters and put all their efforts into their heavier pack. Backs to the wall, enough plaudits cannot be given to the home defenders. Flanker Adam Dawe appeared to be tackling everything that moved and locks Bowen and Beynon squared up manfully. It was the front row trio of Tom Morley, Luke Davies and Dan Morgan that held the upper hand in scrummaging and several times shoved back the Maesteg pack to diminish their ball winning aspirations.

The Quins were subjected to huge pressure as the Maesteg pack penned them on their line for long periods and again forced a yellow card and once more scored a try as Scott Kelly took advantage of the numerical superiority.

The Quins then showed that not only they could defend and a great break out resulting in Sheppard crossing after good combined play, inevitably he converted.

Cooksley was denied a score when he just failed to hang on to an interception attempt but in the dying seconds rounded off a move involving O'Callaghan and Flynn to claim a bonus point try which Sheppard converted . All eyes will be turned north next Saturday as the Quins travel to Ruthin for the second round plate fixture.

Photo by Vance Broad


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos